Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Trying my hand at Royal Icing

It seems like every where I look online, I see pictures of gorgeous Sugar cookies, iced with Royal Icing. This morning I decided to try my hand at it.

I also used a new recipe this time, not my basic Wilton recipe that I've been using. I found this recipe on a year in the kitchen, and the icing recipe came from Creative Catering.

I halved Ashlee's recipe, and it made about two dozen cookies. And they are flakey and delicious. I omitted the lemon zest and the almond extract because I didn't have any on hand, so the cookies were a little blah until I added the frosting, then they were perfection.

As for the icing being...gorgeous, well, i fail at that. This is my third attempt to use frosting tips and bags, and I think my fate is sealed: I'm terrible at it. I have a very shaky hand, so I have to move really quick or my edges turn out funky. I also am not patient enough to spread the "flood" frosting with a toothpick, I gave up and used a spoon. Much easier. I also should've made it more watery.

Anyways the result:

So, they're not super impressive. But, they were tons of fun to make, and they're pretty cute. They served their purpose, though. I no longer have a Sunday Sweet Tooth :)

Sorry my pictures are sideways! I don't know what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment