Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lemon Bars


I love lemon bars! I used to use a recipe that called for a lot of eggs, but me (in my weirdness) could smell the eggs after it was cooked-so I had to scrap that recipe. No one likes egg bars.

After digging out my old Everyone's First Cookbook, I found this recipe for lemon bars that also called for oatmeal and sweetened condensed milk. Sounded like a winner to me! It was. These lemon bars were so yummy that dimples and I were digging them out of the pan to eat before they were even cool. They would've been perfect with some vanilla ice cream. Mmmm. And the best part? No eggs!

Lemon Bars

3/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teas baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1 (14 oz) can sweetend condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350. In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add flour, baking powder, salt and oatmeal and beat until mixture is crumbly. Spread half of the mixture into a 9X13 baking pan, pat down. In separate bowl mix milk and lemon juice and stir until thouroughly mixed. pour over crumbs in dish, then top with remaining crumbs. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Cool at room temp, cut into squares and chill.

Source: Everyone's First Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment