Thursday, March 4, 2010

Irish Soda Bread


I had a small carton of buttermilk that I needed to use and I was trying to think of something clever to make (it was originally intended for red velvet cake, but then I suffered from a case of valentine goody burn out...) Fortunately, allrecipes.com came to the rescue and I found this recipe for Irish Soda Bread, very appropriate for this month!
I've never even had Irish Soda Bread, let alone made it from scratch, so I was surprised that there was no soda in- just baking powder. But I trusted the recipe and I'm glad I did, it's delicious!

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon caraway seed

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Beat eggs with buttermilk. Add the eggs and buttermilk into the flour mixture; stir in raisins.
  3. Pour dough onto lightly floured board. Shape into a round loaf, adding flour if necessary. Place in a lightly greased springform pan. Sprinkle top with caraway seeds if desired.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour or until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.

I didn't have a springform pan, so I just shaped it into a round shape and baked it on a cookie sheet. I did pull it out of the oven about 20 minutes in to brush the top with butter. Mmmm. butter.

I will definitely be making this simple but tasty sweet bread again in a few weeks to go with my corned beef! (no cabbage, though! blech!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi mother, I have to say you are a very good baking inspiration! I've been wanting to do more baking, and the girls love to "cook" so I think baking will be a great way to get us all together, as well as a sugary treat for everyone! You have super yummy looking treats, so I'm excited to start baking! I want to be just like you when I grow up...

    ReplyDelete