Sunday, September 12, 2010

Mocha Cupcakes

To me, there's really no better pairing than coffee and chocolate. Chocolate and peanut butter makes a close second, but chocolate and coffee is really where my heart is. A few weeks ago we had some leftover coffee after breakfast and I decided that a mocha cupcake would be the perfect use for it. Of course, I couldn't find a recipe that only wanted coffee, so I ended up going and buying instant coffee granules as well.
I found a recipe (and I can't remember where. Bad blogger! Bad! But I know it was not from any of the blogs I'm linked to because I would remember that.) and in the end, I didn't love it. It didn't give the vavavoom that I was looking for, and I think a store bought chocolate cake mix would have been better.

The frosting recipe was a keeper, though, and I'll happily share that. I decided to make these mini cupcakes since my mini cupcake pan hasn't seen any love since last Fall's pumpkin cupcakes, so I cut the recipe I found (from C&H sugar) in half, and then I altered it to make it more coffee flavored.
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. instant coffee granules
  • 1.5 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/6 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 teas vanilla
  • 4 tbsp. brewed coffee (room temp)

Mix together first 5 ingredients, then add the brewed coffee one tbsp at a time until you get the consistency you want. Made enough to frost 30 mini cupcakes (with some left over!)

No comments:

Post a Comment